May 30, 2011

Dare I say it?

Sure, okay....IT'S ALMOST JUNE and no mosquitoes! This time last year Crow Valley was like the jungle. I poured repellant all over my clothes and took a deep breath and braved a trip around the campground. I have no complaints. Barring any ill effects on the bird community I think this is just lovely. I spent six hours at Crow Valley today. If I hadn't pooped out I could have stayed all afternoon. Mostly familiar faces, but ones I was eager to see:


Northern Mockingbird. The pair at work again nest-building, I think.


A new and great bird...well, pointed out to me once before I think, but this time my own find.
Orchard Oriole. Threw me off by hanging out with a female Bullocks.


A lovely female (I think) Black-headed Grosebeak


After a while I decided to sit in the shade and let the birds come to me. My only real takers
were a pair of Swainson's Thrush



I followed several (again I think) Red-headed Woodpeckers around Crow Valley.
I missed one unrepeatable fantastic photo op, but did get some nice views.



It was really time to go (my legs were doing their pondwater/molasses routine) and my only lament was not getting a Common Nighthawk shot. TA DA....on the way back to the car.
Left just in time to drive through a hailstorm heading West on 14.


The Complete Crow Valley list:
(not counting the Empids and the one Macgillivray's Warbler I think I saw)


American Robin
Western Kingbird
Chipping Sparrow
Blue Jay
House Wren
Brown Thrasher
Northern Flicker
Western Meadowlark
American Kestrel
Red-headed Woodpecker
Gray Catbird
Swainson's Thrush
Yellow Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Yellow-breasted Chat
Lark Sparrow
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Mockingbird
Red-tailed Hawk
Wilson's Warbler
Eastern Kingbird
Common Nighthawk
Warbling Vireo
Orchard Oriole
Black-headed Grosbeak



 

1 comment:

DaveABirding said...

Nice shots! Really like the RH Woodpecker, which I think is quickly becoming my most sought bird. Looks like the WPs and nighthawk were really posing for you.