May 26, 2010

Perfect Day for Young Gulch

That little hint of rain this morning - I knew it'd be a great day for a hike at Young Gulch. Most days at Young Gulch, the stream (which you cross at least 30 times if you hike the whole trail) is pretty wet. Today, it went past my knees several times. Wet, fun and a little exhausting!

Highlights included bunches of Western Tanangers, MacGillivray's Warblers and a Black-headed Grosbeak:


Last summer the MacGillivray's weren't nearly this cooperative!


On the move...


I think I was watching two male Tanangers duke it out for a
couple of minutes...pretty cool.


Mystery empid (they're all mysteries to me - I do believe I saw 
a bunch of pewees today)


Black-headed Grosbeak


Some more critters....of course I'm always hoping for a bear:



The only snake of the day! 
(unusual for Young Gulch)


First Dragonfly of the season















No comments: