May 28, 2010

Barn Swallow Bath

A very unbirdy day.
Between Lee Martinez Park, Grandview Cemetery and Running Deer - hardly a bird! They must be smarter than me and seeking shelter from this ridiculous heat. I did enjoy observing a little bit of nature at Lee Martinez; first, a skunk nervously found himself heading right for me (no photos as I made a hasty retreat...) Then a mule deer and some mallard ducklings....finally a chance to observe some really cool Barn Swallow activity...


Some nice vegetation just off the Poudre...



There was graffiti on this bridge that said "My Bridge." 
Surely they were referring to the Swallow?


So on the way back I saw something new and wonderful. 
First it looked like a hundred butterflies in the road...
soon turned out to be Barn Swallows bathing! 
My photos completely do not do this sight justice.


I so wanted to get closer (read get a better view) 
but there were people everywhere and
the swallows kept getting spooked... 

Eventually I quietly sat across the road hoping 
they would return. They didn't (as far as I know)
but one or two brave souls touched down:



Note to self: no more 90 degree midday 
visits to Running Deer!








No comments: