Nov 13, 2010

Wintery.

Nice to actually need to wear my fleece up at Lory State Park today! I was hoping it would snow a little while I wandered but it never happened.


Plenty of cool snow and ice sculptures around....



Everywhere I went the sound and sight of melting snow 
plopping down -  several times on my head. I kept seeing bird shadows
that I think were often really snow shadows.



Chickadees, Juncos and Nuthatches galore. Noisy flocks of 
Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creepers and these
sweeter-than-sweet Pygmy Nuthatches. I watched 
two wrestling White-breasted Nuthatches drop from a tree,
float down to the ground still entangled, and then
peacefully separate.


Also of course the resident Cackling Stellar's Jays, Magpies and 
Clark's Nutcracker.







2 comments:

Connie said...

Wow! That first picture is insanely gorgeous? What was your secret?

Becca Reid said...

Lucky almost-stormy weather?