Jul 19, 2010

Young Things

and other stuff from the last week or so...
I'm learning that around this time when things are pretty quiet, it's nice to stumble upon young things.


Running Deer:


Yup, it's my buddy....inquisitive young mink.
Also at Running Deer right now: frogs, toads and tons
of dragon flies.


The wrens seem to be making a funny frog-like noise lately....
I don't know if this relates to fledgelings or not (or if
I just never noticed it before.)


I've been watching this Red-winged Blackbird nest for
a few weeks. Looks like someone's hungry.
(double-click photo to enlarge a little)



Young Gulch:


Earlier this summer there were bunches of flycatchers 
at Young Gulch. Now, very fluffy fledglings. 
Here's mom with a snack:


And here's the kids.


This one, a little further down the trail.


Pawnee Grasslands:


A friendly Grasshopper Sparrow


A young Meadowlark,  I think....


I did see a few young burrowing owls, but none
braving posts yet.



Two shots of Mom Lark Sparrow, 'cause I think
she's wonderful...


Maybe one day this little guy will look so pretty!


Didn't find any resting Common Nighthawks 
(well other than the ones I accidentally flushed...), but this one 
briefly flew into the tree above my head.


Riverbend Ponds:


First, a stop near Wellington.
What I think is coolest about the dickcissel, it's song:



A little reminder for me today: When it's a little slow and 
maybe kind of dull the Kingfisher embodies 
everything I've grown to love about birds.


Another enthusiastic wren.


A Young Barn Swallow, I think!!


Three guesses (it's not a kingfisher...)


















1 comment:

DaveABirding said...

Those photos just go to show how much is still out there to be seen. Great Burrowing Owl, and the bear at Gray Rock must have been just awesome.