Jun 30, 2010

Eventful Trip to Grey Rock

Getting a later than usual start, I was surprised at how birdy Gray Rock was this morning. I haven't been on the trail in years and didn't realize it's potential...




I was staring up at some wrens.....when I looked down, there was a beautiful red, black and white snake between my feet. We both skedaddled promptly, so sadly no photo op. (Maybe a King Snake...I have no idea.)


Up the trail a little ways, a lizard attempted to hide...


A little further along, a BLACK BEAR meandered onto the trail!


I have been hoping to see a bear in Colorado for years!!! Granted I was 
kind of thinking of seeing one across a distant meadow, not thirty feet 
down the trail.....but beggars can't be choosers, right?


The bear decided I smelled like a vegetarian, wouldn't
taste very good, and kindly
allowed me to continue on my way....


As many insects as anything else on this hike....


Grey Rock



So I noticed this nest....


in this partly-fallen tree. I noticed some wrens flitting about,
so I figured it was their nest - even though it seemed big. Eventually 
I noticed that their nest was in the same tree, but in a different spot!








2 comments:

Connie said...

Yay! You got your bear! How very cool! Were you scared?

Becca Reid said...

I sure WAS...but elated at the same time!